COMPARE REMOVAL QUOTES
Save up to 40% in 1 minute
Man with a Van Near Me
Looking to move house? You’re not alone. A local man with a van will take the weight off your shoulders. Whether it’s a dash several streets away or a move to another county, a man with a van can help you not just with furniture transportation, but with any assistance you need, every step of the way.
Man with a Van Near Me
One in four Britons will be moving house within the next 12 months. If you’re one of them, then you’re probably busy researching your options. Sometimes the best course of action is to rely on a local ‘man with a van’ – that is, a van hire service whereby the driver does the loading and unloading for you, taking the stress out of moving house.
It can be a one-man operation, a family-run delivery business, or the local offshoot of a very large removals company. The ‘man & van’ service usually includes a Luton vehicle with a high ceiling and ample space for you to store, move, and transport your possessions in. But you’ll also find smaller vans with drivers willing to go back-and-forth between properties.
Why Hire a Man with a Van Near Me?
An experienced professional will assist you as much or as little as you need, giving you a helping hand with your removal without rushing you.
- Good value. Not only is this the cheapest type of professional removal service available, but it’s also very flexible. If you find that you need extra help with the packing, disassembly, and unpacking on the day, you’re usually able to negotiate on the spot.
- Comprehensive. A man in a van can handle not only house or office removals and packing services, but also waste disposal, collections and deliveries, transportation for heavy musical equipment, and even storage services.
- Peace of mind. A professional man in a vancaries insurance coverage for your belongings and for any accident you may have along the way. Then there’s the fact that a professional is speedy, efficient, and adept at protecting your belongings. Also, if you hire an entire team, you don’t need to lift a finger.
- No hidden costs. The DIY route, with friends and family doing all the lifting and shifting, may seem cheaper.But when you add up the cost of fuel, the rental deposit, and the risk of damaging a rented van, you’ll quickly realize you’re better off leaving it to the professionals, who are used to being behind the wheel of a van.
- Convenience. Booking is very easy, you can usually clarify any issues directly with the ‘man’ before the day of the move, and there’s no need for them to pay you a visit to check if the quote was right.
How Much Will a Man with a Van Near Me Cost?
In the UK, moving house costs nearly £9,000 on average, most of which is agent fees. The cost of the removal service alone is a three-figure sum. If you want to bring it down to a minimum, then a man & van service is your best bet.
Not only is a man & van service your cheapest option – save for renting a van and going the DIY route -, but you also usually have furniture pads, straps, removal blankets, and lifting tools included in the price. Some vans even come with a tail lift for bulky items.
Local removals tend to charge by the hour, not the weight of your possessions, but there’s usually a 2-hour minimum charge. Sometimes they’ll provide a fixed price instead. That said, man & van prices usually depend on:
- Hourly rate and number of men;
- Distance between properties;
- Number of furniture items, boxes, and small items (appliances, bicycles, etc.);
- Type of vehicle booked, toll prices, and extra charges (e.g. congestion charge);
- Area (urban removals are more expensive, and international removals even more so);
- Extra services (disassembly, packaging, reassembly, etc.).
To give you a basic idea of the minimum costs you can expect to pay, double the rates below and make allowances for any of the points mentioned above that apply to you.
Average hourly man with a van rental rates for the UK:
|Type of van||1 man||2 men||3 men||4 men|
To minimize the cost, try the following tips:
- Book your man & van service off-peak, mid-week, and well in advance to snag a bargain;
- Use larger boxes and more resilient but compact wrapping material to bring the number of boxes down to a minimum (preferably a round number);
- Buy cheaper packing supplies online with free delivery, and spread out your packing over several days, so that you don’t make last-minute supply purchases;
- If you’re single-handedly doing all the packaging, invest in a good-quality packaging tape dispenser gun and several refills.
With so many man & van companies to choose from, how do you know which one to pick? Simply send a quote request and you’ll receive 6 quotes available for comparison. Best of all, it’s a complimentary, no-obligation service, so feel free to browse the 6 quotes listed side by side for that perfect match.
How to Find a Man with a Van Near Me
Other than your local Yell directory, adverts at your local newsagent, or your neighbourhood social networks, you may find that the only reliable tradesmen references available to you are through word-of-mouth.
Luckily, it’s extremely easy to find a reliable driver who works locally on a website like ours. Simply enter the details for the job you had in mind in our online form, and we’ll match them to the man & van service providers in our database. We’ll then display or send the no-obligation quotes to you free of charge.
Found a Man with a Man Near Me. What Next?
Once you’ve browsed our quotes and found the best available match, we recommend that you check their profile page. Browse their feedback section to see what previous customers have to say about the company. Check reviews on review websites, if available.
Once you’ve agreed to a price, please feel free to get in touch with the company if you need more reassurance. It’s particularly important to ask about equipment, credentials, insurance, and previous experience.
The practice of charging people for a removal service, not showing up at the address, and then refusing to refund the full payment or the deposit is more common than you may think. It’s also uncomfortably common for companies to offer a quote on their website, but an entirely different one if you speak to them in person or on the phone.
If you’re in any doubt about their truthfulness and reliability, then here are a few safeguards:
- Check their website URL in the top search bar of your browser. Is it an https address? The ‘s’ in ‘https’ stands for ‘secure’, and it means that the data you send and receive from the website is encrypted, making your communications safe.
- Look them up on TrustPilot, SiteJabber, Feefo, and any other reputable review platform. Also try Google reviews and cached versions of review pages.
- Look at their terms and conditions. Do they mention that refunds are granted fairly, or do they withhold all or part of the payment to cover their ‘processing costs’?
- If you’ve already placed and order, look at their confirmation email to see if it’s professionally written. If it includes links, they should be short, and when you hover over them you should see the same URL text in your browser status bar (usually at the bottom).
- Or better yet, look up man & van services on Get a Mover. We only display genuine quotes from reputable man with a van service providers, and our quote lists are 100% objective. Find the right company to match your removal needs with our free, no obligation quotes.