Ready to make that big move abroad but need assistance? Then an international removal company is a solution for you. They will make the necessary arrangements to get your valuables to your new home, whether that is across a border or an entire ocean. This overview will go over the price of international removals, process, and additional important details.
How much do international removals cost?
The biggest expense you will have when relocating abroad is paying for international removals. While there are many factors that affect the cost, a few main variables are:
- Size of your move: The more items you will transport, the more expensive it will be since prices are partly determined by the weight and volume of shipments.
- Distance: The farther your destination, the higher the transport costs.
- Transport route: Certain routes are more common than others, meaning that they will generally be cheaper due to increased competition and supply.
- Transport method: The mode of transport you select will greatly affect price, with airfreight the most expensive and sea freight being the cheapest mode.
Because there are so many variables affecting international moving company prices, it is difficult to calculate the exact price. However, below is an estimation for international shipping costs for moves from the UK to a few select countries.
International Removals Costs
20ft Shipping Container
40ft Shipping Container
£1,137 - £1,454
£1,984 - £2,171
£6,890 - £7,200
£1,066 - £2,269
£1,915 - £3,507
£6,500 - £7,900
£988 - £2,400
£1,475 - £3,115
£3,400 - £5,700
£424 - £661
£633 - £1,256
£1,555 - £1,719
£434 - £737
£649 - £2,155
£2,669 - £2,948
£1,155 - £1,277
£1,777 - £1,964
£4,620 - £5,106
Keep your international removal costs down
Due to long distances, shipping methods, and various factors for the cost of moving house, relocating to another country is very expensive. However, with a quick quote request, you will be able to lower the costs of an international move. In only 1 minute, you will reach out to 6 worldwide removal companies, who will give you their best prices based on your needs, and you will find the level of service and option that is right for you.Complete the form now and save up to 40%—it goes a long way with international removals.
What Influence the Price for Moving Abroad?
When you move and settle abroad, the biggest expense you can expect is the cost of an international moving company. The main variables that determine the price of your international removal are:
1. The Volume of your Move
The more things you have to take with you, the more expensive the move will be because the prices are partly determined by the weight and volume of the load;
2. The Distance
Depending on your destination, transportation costs will be higher;
3. The Itinerary
Some routes are used more than others and will, therefore, be cheaper due to competition and accumulated supply, and some destinations are better served (also consider the geopolitical aspect of your destination country);
4. The Mode of Transport
The price also varies according to the mode of transport chosen, air freight is the most expensive and sea freight more economical.
Moving Abroad Costs and Other Services
You might need extra services when moving internationally. The cost of these services and your international moving cost will also depend on your country of destination. For example, an international removal from the UK to France or in another European country will be cheaper than shipping your belongings overseas. To the cost mentioned above, you should also consider which services you need: packing, customs, assembly of furniture, etc. These services will weight differently on your international moving costs also depending on the country of destination and whether the moving company has to ask the support of another local company. Check in the next paragraph some of the most common removal services and costs.
Additional International Removal Service Costs
Whether your moving in a European country or oversea, in the table below you can find more price information about additional removal shipping services.
|Type of Cost||Cost Details||
|Packing & Unpacking||- Expert packing and unpacking of your belongings||
£75 - £400
|Insurance||- Varies on amount and type of goods being transported||
Starting from £75
|Storage||- Added cost while waiting on transit for goods|
- Secure place for temporary storage
£75 per month
|Custom Duties & Taxes||- Charged based on the value of goods|
- Depends on destination country
Average rate is 5% - 9%
The stages of an international move
International removals consist of 3 main parts:
Each stage occurs at different times of the moving process and requires specific steps.
Step 1: Collection
This part involves any packing services that you have requested and loading of items. Your belongings are either loaded onto a vehicle for direct transport to your destination, or for preliminary transit to a shipping or airfreight container.
Based on your level of service that you require, there are several packing options offered by international removal companies.
- Full Packing: This is an extensive packing service that covers everything that you would like to move. Professional movers receive training on packing and wrapping for export to ensure that your valuables will be safe for the long journey.
- Part Packing: If you only need assistance with packing a few items, this is the best level of service for you. You specify which items you would like the movers to pack or wrap and whether it is one piece of furniture or a few smaller articles.
- Fragile Packing: Certain items that are prone to damage require special packing methods or extra protective materials. Movers properly pack fragile items such as china, glass, lamps, or paintings so that they are safe and secure.
- Special Requirements: Large or heavy items, such as a piano or safe, also require specialist knowledge and equipment to move. Transporting these items either needs more movers or certain equipment to ensure that they will not sustain any damage.
- Self-Packing: If you do not have a large number of items, you can choose to pack everything by yourself. Of course, this will not incur any extra costs other than packing materials, but it usually takes a much longer time than hired professional packing services would.
Step 2: Transport
You have multiple options for transporting your belongings, depending on the destination country, speed, and your budget.
Choosing to transport by plane is the speediest method, allowing you to settle into your new home much more quickly. However, airfreight is also the most expensive mode of transport, meaning that for a large volume of items, it is not very cost-effective.
In this method, vehicles transport your belongings by road. As such, mainland European destinations mainly use overland removals. You can choose between Full Load and Part Load.
1.Full Load: This is suitable for larger moves, such as from a 3 or 4-bedroom house, in which you pay for an entire removal vehicle. The vehicle will drive directly to your requested location.
2.Part Load: This involves sharing transport space with other customers. Although it is cost-effective for smaller moves since you pay for your space, it takes longer, as the vehicle must travel to multiple destinations for the other customers.
- Sea Shipping
Sea containers are the least expensive mode of international shipping. However, depending on the route and multiple other factors, sea freight can also take the longest amount of time. There are three types of sea freight available.
- Full Container Load (FCL): You pay for a 20 or 40-foot container for all of your belongings. The container is directly transported to your destination country, after which it will be cleared at customs and delivered to your new home. This is perfect for larger moves, such as a 3 or 4-bedroom house.
2. Less than Container Load (LCL): Your valuables, in a lift-van, will share container space with other loads of various companies and exporters. A 3rd party handles this and has lower costs than FCL.
3. Groupage: Similar to LCL, groupage also involves sharing a container with other customers. However, you share shipment space with other customers of your removal company. While this is more cost-effective than LCL because there are no 3rd party fees, total transit time is higher since groupage shipments only leave once the container is full.
Step 3: Delivery
Delivery consists of moving your items to your new home, unloading, as well as unpacking of your goods.
After the container arrives at the destination port, your specific load is then transported by land to your new residence. Your items will be unloaded and unpacked in their corresponding rooms after arrival.
Customs Formalities for International Removals
Each country determines its own rules and formalities for customs clearances. Is it usefully, therefore, gather all the information beforehand and be prepared for your move. Check out also the type of goods that you are entitled to bring or not.
How Does an International Mover Help You?
International moving companies are very helpful. They guide you in all the steps needed to make your removal easy and time-efficient. They are particularly helpful in taking care of all the documentation needed for customs and organising the transport of your belonging. Do not underestimate the importance of hiring an international removal expert: it will make this process stress-free.
Which International Moving Company Choose?
When you have to decide which international mover to hire, finding a cheap quote shouldn’t be the only goal. It is important to compare removal quotes and read reviews from other customers. If you are looking for an international removal company in London or in Manchester, take the time to look online for their customer’s reviews.
How to Find an International Mover Near Me?
Our service offers you the best way to get in touch with international mover near you. By requesting moving abroad quotes online, you are connected only with international movers in your area and who can provide to your needs. In this way, you don’t waste time looking for international removals companies in the UK that are not available or do not fit your criteria.
How Much Does It Cost to Move to Europe?
If you are relocating to a country in mainland Europe, the cost is much lower than other destinations like North America or Asia. Proximity and the relatively free movement of goods between EU countries make European removals much easier, cheaper, and quicker.
Below some example of international moving company prices:
- from the UK to Spain: £400 – £2500
- from the UK to France: £400 – £1500
- from the UK to Canada: £1400 – £6500
- from the UK to Singapore:£1200 – £4500
Procedures for a European Removal
Removal firms will assist you in all aspects of your relocation to a European country. This is especially useful since you will be able to focus your time and energy on more pressing matters. These can involve preparations for your new job, sorting out your new life in the big city, or fully enjoying some free time.
International Moving and Overseas Shipping
While sending your belongings by air is the fastest way to complete your international moving, it is generally more expensive than overland or sea shipping. However, it will take a while for your items to arrive at your destination. If you’re moving to Europe, an overland shipping can be cost-effective and quick. High connectivity within Europe through roads make overland shipping a great choice.
What is International Removal Insurance?
An insurance plan covers all relocations, whether it is just around the corner or around the world. However, since international moves involve long distances and many more uncontrollable factors, it is important to be fully insured.
Although most international movers have basic limited liability coverage, it usually does not fully match the value of your belongings. To have better compensation, we recommend you to get removals insurance for your prized possessions for the cost of replacement.
Cheapest Insurance Price for Your Personal Belongings
To get the best insurance deal, think about the valuables that you want to insure. For example, you should ensure an item that will be difficult to replace in your new country. Also, it is in your best interest to look around for the provider that best matches your needs. While most removal companies offer insurance coverage, you are not restricted to their plans as there are several 3rd party companies available.
Check out our insurance section to learn about how to find the best policy for you.
Get in Touch with the Best International Moving Companies
If you are looking for an international removal company, comparing quotes will help you make the right choice. Once you see the different prices and services side by side, you will quickly determine the appropriate company for you. With savings of up to 40%, it is the best way to lower moving costs, especially since moving abroad involve significant financial resources. Take a minute to fill out the form and you will receive up to 6 quotes from trusted international movers.